Uttaran is a national development organization working in the southwest Bangladesh since 1985 to uphold rights and entitlements and to improve the socio-economic condition of the poor and disadvantaged. Uttaran facilitates in getting access to and control over resources by the poor and disadvantaged to improve agricultural productivity and economic empowerment.
Uttaran in partnership with Solidaridad Network Asia (SNA) started implementing Sustainable Agriculture, Food Security and Linkages (SaFaL) programme in Southwest Bangladesh. The summary of SaFaL and more on Solidaridad works are accessible at www.solidaridadnetwork.org. Uttaran is seeking the following positions to implement SaFaL programme for its project interventions area in Khulna, Bagerhat and Shatkhira district.
The Technical Officer- Livestock is responsible to form of Livestock producer groups and participatory group planning by engaging LEAD FARMERS, local government organizations, different service providers. S/he will support in selection of lead farmers, identify problems and prospects in the Livestock sector in the field of production, processing, transportation, marketing and production regulations. S/he will support in adoption of sustainable technologies in Livestock and efficient farm management. S/he will also support in research study to find the appropriate technical solution for increasing productivity in dairy and transferring knowledge to the producer groups. He/She will be responsible to establish dairy value chain, livestock management, & recognized breed development. He/she capitalises the day-to-day learning, most significant changes on a regular basis. Explore and link with commercial investment opportunities among producer group. Regular monitor of the beneficiaries’ progress and sustainable market change. Review yearly plan and activity budget. Provide support to be functioning of the VSM of SaFaL project.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Major responsibilities of this position will include, but is not limited to:
- Facilitate for training needs assessment of producers ensure training to make them technically sound on dairy value chain(production, management, breed improvement, supply chain etc) and evaluation of training program
- Provide technical support to producers, Paravet development and ensure BDS, market development, business promotion and diversification of services that meet up the demands at local level of producers.
- Facilitate producers to establish demonstration on innovative technology, good practice through establish linkage with public and private sector and Research institute
- Facilitate producers group for organizational development
- organize training on cattle management including vaccination and preliminary treatment for the producers as well as breed improvement
- Organize community meeting, review meeting, workshop with all stakeholder in dairy value chain
- Facilitate Lead Farmer to establish contract with private and public sector organization for making inputs (vaccines, feed, Al materials etc.) available at community level
- Support to producers for developing activity plan and business plan and review them
- To support in ensuring that all veterinary services are well coordinated with livestock departments like cattle management, vaccination and inputs (feeds, Al, vaccines, deworming etc) to the dairy producers/ dairy producers’ group
- To work closely with Programme officers and Cash transfer Officers to find out appropriate Cash transfer modalities for Livestock related interventions.
- Facilitate producers’ group to establish contract with output market actors for raw milk and processed products (Sana, Ghee etc)
- To carry out field monitoring visits and support Provincial Livestock Officers in adherence to the sector technical standards.
- To support and assist for developing proposals, guidelines, strategies.
- To coordinate with relevant government and non-government agencies, and represent Solidaridad on different forums.
- Provide support to producers group for access to finance through organize match making workshop with Micro Finance Institute, Bank, NGOs etc.
- Assist the Team Leader to prepare annual, quarterly and monthly plans and report for effective execution of the project activities as stipulated in the project document
- Prepare different case studies, change story, message, article and capitalization of experiences.
Minimum Qualification and Other Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in any Department of Animal Husbandry / Veterinary or related field with three years of experience in similar capacity (Master’s Degree will be preferred)
- Demonstrated overall 2 years of experience in NGO in same capacity; and minimum 1 years’ experience on Livestock based Livelihoods /Dairy value chain
- Knowledge of Food security and emergency livestock restoration programmes
- Strong Computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc)
- Experience in contextual analysis, quantitative and qualitative researches and other assessment tools
- Proven experience, skills and knowledge and preferred experience on dairy management, animal health, feed/fodder management, processing technologies and livestock extension services.
- High level of analytical skills in planning, finance and project implementation
- Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills with fluency in spoken and written English and Bengali
- Knowledge and skills in basic computing, demonstrated inter-personal skills in working with a multidisciplinary team
- Willingness and enthusiasm for working with rural and vulnerable communities living in remote areas of the country
- Must have a valid driving license and willing to drive motorcycle.
Salary & Benefits
Attractive salary package (including all benefits) around Tk 25000 will be offered to the suitable candidate competitive to the NGOs operating in Bangladesh. The position is a full time position with all other entitlements.
Please send your resume/CV (not more than 2 pages) along with a cover letter showing your suitability for the position latest by 15 February 2015 to UTTARAN, Admin Division, House # 179, Road # 12, Phase-1, Sonadanga- R/A Khulna. Please mark the position applied for on the envelope. Any canvassing will result in disqualification. Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.